Dragonfly Counselling and Support Centre (DCSC) is seeking a Child & Youth Counsellor to join their dedicated team. DCSC is committed to ending the cycle of sexual abuse & assault by providing specialized intervention, counselling and preventative education to individuals, families, and communities in the North Region of Alberta.
* This position is accepting applications for either Full Time or Part Time hours- either .5 FTE or .8 FTE.
This position operates from the regional office in Bonnyville, providing significant outreach to the Francophone community within North Central East Alberta including Slave Lake, Wabasca-Desmarais, Smoky Lake, Athabasca, Lac La Biche, Bonnyville, Cold Lake, St. Paul, and local First Nations Communities and Métis Settlements.
The Child & Youth Counsellor (CYC) will work out of various satellite office, and partnership schools and community spaces.
The CYC works within a multidisciplinary team to:
- Provide individual support for clients including, but not limited to, intake, assessment, case planning and follow-up
- Prepare needs and risk assessments
- Assist with referrals to and accessing appropriate community resources.
- Complete wellness assessments and support children between the ages of 3-21, residing in the Agency’s area
- Provide individual, family and group supportive counselling sessions
- Build capacity within communities by providing information, education and resources on wellbeing and child sexual abuse prevention
- Degree in Counselling, Social Work, or related field with a focus on child and youth, with a minimum of two years directly-related counselling experience (equivalencies may be considered);
- Registered or eligible for registration with appropriate professional association preferred;
- Bilingual requirement
- Experience in trauma-informed and client- centered counselling
- Knowledge of community resources and familiarity with Indigenous culture and history within Canada;
- Comprehensive knowledge of client-centered interventions, practice methods and professional skills;
- Working knowledge of computer software (email, internet), Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook), and electronic records management system.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- An understanding of women’s issues, social justice advocacy, diversity and anti-oppressive practice are an asset;
- Criminal Records check, Child Intervention Record check, valid Alberta Driver’s License and access to a reliable vehicle.
What DCSC Offers:
- A competitive salary
- Full health benefits (extended health, vision, dental, and drugs); RRSP program
- Flexible travel schedule (2-3 days a week during school year)
- Generous paid vacation time
- Remote/hybrid work model
- Strong focus on staff wellness and work-life balance
- Professional development opportunities
Dragonfly strives to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community they work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, members of Black, racialized, or visible minority communities, Indigenous Peoples, people identifying as 2SLGBTQ+, and people with disabilities. If the recruitment process can be made easier through accommodation, please contact us a email@example.com