Location: Lac La Biche Campus
Position type: Full-time term until June 2024
Salary: $4,483 to $5,816 per month
Job number: 23-MHB6-34-PC
Posting date: June 20, 2023
Closing date: Until suitable candidate is found
ABOUT THE POSITION
Portage College is actively hiring a Housing Support Worker for the Lac La Biche campus. Reporting to the Counselling Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for coordinating the delivery of a variety of programming services to support students and families living in housing and residence.
Some of the responsibilities include:
· Develop cohesive programs and services for single students and families living on campus.
· Assist with housing-related issues such as student compatibility and students at risk.
· Develop and implement orientation program for student housing.
· Administrative duties to support program and services.
· Hours of work 9:15am-5:30pm
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Degree or diploma in Social Sciences or equivalent.
· Minimum of one-year mental health experience with high-risk populations.
· Certification preferred in Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), Non-violent Crisis Intervention and Mental Health First Aid.
· Strong case management and advocacy skills and experience, strong dedication to providing highest quality of client care.
· Empathetic with an effective ability to build rapport with clients.
· Strong networking skills and knowledge of resources and services available in communities we serve.
· Experience working with rural, northern and Indigenous communities will be considered a definite asset. Applicants should have a clear understanding of issues facing Indigenous students.
· Must be proficient with computers, especially MS Office.
· Strong skills in organization, data entry and customer service.
· Effective verbal and written communication skills are essential.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and provide sound decision making.
· Successful applicant will be required to provide a current vulnerable sector check.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Portage College has been serving the region for more than 50 years and is a first-choice post-secondary institution for learners in northeast Alberta. You will find that we are a college that combines quality with innovation. In fact, Portage College is considered a leader when it comes to providing students with a flexible first-class educational experience. We offer a wide range of programs in health and wellness, business, human services, university transfer, food sciences, trades and technology, native arts and culture, and in academics for career and education.
As an employee at the College, you will benefit from generous paid time off, participation in the College pension plan, excellent health and dental benefits, and access to a strong professional development fund that allows employees to grow and develop professionally by taking college or university courses, or attending conferences or workshops.
HOW TO APPLY
Portage College is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society.
If you have the right qualifications, experience and motivation to do extraordinary things at Portage College, we would love to hear from you. Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. If you have any questions, call us at 780-623-5747.
Please note we do not accept third-party resume and cover letter submissions.
The College appreciates the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.