Town of Bonnyville
Corporate Health and Safety Manager
The Town of Bonnyville is seeking an individual to work within a team-oriented organization to undertake the role of Corporate Health and Safety Manager. The Town of Bonnyville is located in the growing northeast region of Alberta.
The position of Corporate Health and Safety Manager reports to the General Manager of Planning and Community Services. The Corporate Health and Safety Manager interacts with all Town departments and their primary function will be to ensure compliance with Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulations, and Code. A key responsibility of the Corporate Health and Safety Manager is to conduct regular inspections of the work sites and verify that the safety protocols are being followed. The manager will also provide guidance and training to the staff on how to prevent accidents, injuries, and report any issues or incidents to the senior management. The manager will work closely with the staff to ensure that the safety standards are met and maintained. The Corporate Health and Safety Manager will prepare, develop, and administer programs to ensure the safety of all employees, contractors and visitors to facilities owned and operated by the Town of Bonnyville. The Corporate Health and Safety Manager will ensure facility compliance with health and safety regulations, policies, and procedures; and to perform a variety of tasks related to assigned area of responsibility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Review, understand, and ensure that the Town Health and Safety Environmental Program is being followed.
- Coordinate and conducts audits for COR purposes.
- Conducts new hire safety orientations.
- Performs hazard identifications and assessments and ensures that all staff adheres to the OH&S Act, Regulations, and Code and WCB Case Management.
- Processes accident/incident investigation documentation and initiates WCB paperwork in conjunction with the HR department, as needed.
- Conducts regular inspections of the work sites and verify that the safety protocols are being followed.
- Maintains safety training records for staff and tracks certification and required recertification dates in conjunction with the HR Department.
- Provides recommendations for relevant safety training for employees, track their competencies, and ensure employee files are updated in support of the respective departments.
- Advises management in determining solutions and policies to address health and safety issues; recommends internal health and safety rules, policies, and guidelines, working in conjunction with staff and or other OH&S governing bodies.
- Evaluates and reviews operating procedures and safety precautions to minimize the potential for accident, injury, or illness.
- Prepares training manuals and outlines; implements approved rules, policies, and guidelines.
- Maintains an inventory of required Personal Protective Equipment for facilities and equipment owned by the Town of Bonnyville and records, distributes, and ensures proper use by employees of any required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Qualifications/ Education/ Experience:
- A minimum of five (5) years progressive safety experience in occupational health and safety setting with preference to a municipal environment. This experience should include field work and the proven ability to organize and maintain their department for auditing purposes.
- Post-Secondary Education with a completion of a recognized OH&S Management Certificate or Diploma Program (other equivalent combinations of education and work experience may be considered).
- Alberta Municipal Health and Safety certification, National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) and/or Canadian Registered Safety Professional designation is required.
- Excellent time management, organization and written/oral skills will be required.
- Interpersonal skills to work with staff, the public and interaction with Council will be required.
- Current H2S, St. John Ambulance First Aid/CPR, WHMIS Train the Trainer, TDG Train the Trainer and Confined Space Entry Training.
- Possession and maintenance of an applicable valid driver’s license with a current driver abstract.
- Sound working knowledge and understanding of Provincial Health and Safety Act, Regulations, and Code.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Experience in a municipal setting would be beneficial.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
The Town of Bonnyville offers a comprehensive salary and benefit package.
Closing Date: Friday December 1, 2023
Submit application to:
Town of Bonnyville
Postal Bag 1006, 4917 49th Avenue
Bonnyville AB T9N 2J7 or Email: email@example.com
All candidates are thanked in advance for their interest. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.