Location: Lac La Biche Campus
Position Type: Full-time Continuous
Salary: $64,884 to $86,208 per annum
Job Number: 23-BOB3-62-LLJ
Posting Date: November 16, 2023
Closing Date: Will begin reviewing resumes on November 24, 2023
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Budget Officer is a key member of the Finance department and works alongside a second Budget Officer and reports to the Senior Financial Analyst. This role works collaboratively in preparation of College annual budget, quarterly forecast, quarterly reporting, and annual financial statements. The nature and scope of this work has a College wide impact. Sound working knowledge of budgeting, forecasting and financial reporting is required. A thorough understanding of College Financial guidelines, processes and procedures is required. Responsibilities include:
- Budget Officer for Operational Budgets, such as Facilities & IT, Registrar, Student and College Services, Marketing Specialist, Compliance and Emergency Response, Library, Institutional Analysis & Planning, Corporate Communications, Finance.
- Lead for Budget Office report distribution and ERP attribution maintenance.
- Lead on preparing budget and forecast for international revenues.
- Prepares scholarships forecast and budget (in coordination with the Awards Officer).
- Assist in processing of journal entries, accruals and adjustments for month end and year-end including preparation of quarter accrued actuals, adjustments for revenue, expense and capital projects.
- Assists A/R, A/P, Student Accounts during peak times such as intakes.
- Flexible hours of work may include evenings and weekends.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree or Diploma in Accounting, Finance or Business or a combination of education and experience equivalency.
- Minimum three to four years of relevant or related experience in budgeting, accounting and financial reporting.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Must be proficient with computers, especially MS Office.
- Strong skills in organization, data entry and customer service.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Knowledge or experience working with Unit 4 would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and provide sound decision making.
- Excellent understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Successful applicant will be required to provide a current police information check.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Portage College has been serving the region for over 50 years and is a first choice post-secondary institution for learners in northeast Alberta. You will find that we are a college that combines quality with innovation. In fact, Portage College is considered a leader when it comes to providing students with a flexible first-class educational experience. We offer a wide range of programs in health and wellness, business, human services, university transfer, food sciences, trades and technology, native arts and culture, and in academics for career and education.
As a member of the Excluded Employment Group, you would have access to a number of benefits that include generous vacation days, participation in the College pension plan and access to a strong professional development fund that allows employees to grow and develop professionally by taking college or university courses or attending conferences or workshops.